Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What's it like inside of a Russian McDonald's?

Many people frequently wonder (Okay just me and my dad.) what it is like inside of "foreign" McDonald's. The only experience I have had with eating at a McDonald's outside of the states was in Mexico back in 1989. What was it like, I don't remember. We have been to McDonald's about 4 times since we have arrived here. Most of them are located on Nevsky Prospekt, the "main drag" through Saint Petersburg, and in an "upscale" mall called Galleria. 


It never occurs to me to take a picture of the menu board, because it's crowded and everything is in Russian. Though the first thing I noticed was that they did not have numbered "Value Meals". So you can walk up or drive up to a number of McDonald's and get a number 1 consistently. I can't read the menu, can't say I'll take a number 1 or 5, and usually end up blurting out HAPPY MEAL CHICKEN NUGGETS SOK (Juice). Want Ketchup with that, it's extra, want sauce with that, it's extra. 

The photo above and below are of Loki and Larisa looking at the Happy Meal display. Notice it's not a stand alone thing. I am pretty sure in the past or the reason why they don't do that is to cut down on theft, because I could see someone walking in and walking out with the display. 

This is our meal, Larisa and Sergey refuse to eat McDonald's food, generally ordering Coffe, or tea. They also don't drink American soft drinks, though I think Sergey will drink energy drinks, like RockStar but with a name like el torro, or synergy fuel. 

This is the interior. Most people who eat at McDonald's have money to eat there. I think for Loki's happy meal it is about 300-400  rubles, 10 -13 dollars. Clearly those with extra rubles to throw around are the ones who eat here. 


I wanted to eat the burger, but loki was upset that there was no sauce for the nuggets or fries so instead he ate it. 


This is my large coke no ice. 


This is the toy Loki got, last time I didn't look at the receipt and I ended up paying for the toy, and he barely ate his food. Eating out with him in Russia, like America is hit and miss. Now if it were Mexican food. 


1 comment:

  1. Why don't Sergey and Larisa eat McDonald's food, I think part of it is the expense of the food and they don't like the food. Either they think it's unhealthy, or they don't like the taste of the food. Probably both are why they don't like the food at McDonald's, it's a recent development in their country and it's super American.

    ReplyDelete